Tom DeBlass recently decided to release a book detailing his life and experiences and incredibly, it’s already become a #1 best seller on Amazon in the category of martial arts books. Throughout his career as a grappler, DeBlass has achieved some great things including several victories at the ADCC North American trials before helping to organize the event after retiring from competition. He’s always been an outspoken individual and as a result DeBlass finds himself drawing criticism and praise in equal measure, including from social media companies themselves as well as fans of the sport.
The now best seller book about Tom DeBlass, “How You Beat It: Triumph and Resilience In Life” can be found here, and Amazon listing is as follows:
“Jiu-jitsu champion, professional fighter, and world-class coach, Tom DeBlass became a hero in the martial arts community for his blue-collar roots and no-excuses approach to life. Today, he heads dozens of academies and has coached elite athletes such as world champion Gary Tonon. He’s also the creator of some of the most popular jiu-jitsu instructionals in the world.
Follow the story of a runt from New Jersey, told by Tom to his father during the last year of his life. Bullied from a young age, Tom holds nothing back about being raised in a turbulent household where chaos was normal and strong ties to family were constantly tested. As he discovers the self-healing powers of sports and martial arts, Tom becomes a champion fighter as a young man. But his life brings on a new family, more students, and is responsible for more than just himself. Tom is forced to confront the driven competitor within, the one who will always pursue another medal, another victory. In his quest to finally heal from his past and find happiness, Tom learns an important lesson:
It’s not what you bear, but how you bear it.
Included in Tom’s story are key moments of his life and career such as:
- Growing up tough in New Jersey and suffering his first concussion at age five.
- Learning to love and live with a father of addiction.
- Rising through the ranks of the most brutal mat space in the world: Team Renzo Gracie.
- Taking his first MMA fight on a week’s notice against an undefeated fighter.
- Fighting in the infamous proving grounds of the ADCC North American Trials.
- Triumphing over depression, anger, and even suicidal thoughts.
- Fighting around the world in the UFC and Bellator MMA.
- Raising children and maintaining relationships amidst a life of chaos.
Above all, Tom learns and shares lessons about triumph and resilience on and off the mats.”
Tom DeBlass announced the news in a post to his official Instagram as he hit the monumental achievement on the very first day that the book was released, beating out some impressive competition from the likes of Rickson Gracie and Bruce Lee: