Should I purchase or make a grappling dummy
Posted: 25 September 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
White Belt Member
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-09-24

Wassup guys, I have been training bjj for about a month and a half under marco “sharpei” machado. and he trains us hard and im loving it. Is it a good idea to purchase a p-dummy or make one. The reason why is I am 29, have a fam and a lil 5 yr old to take care. i can only make it class 2-3 times a week. I would love to come more but its hard cause of my schedule. What do you guys think, should I get one or make one or just try to make to class more?

Signature 

“For the choke, there are no “tough guys”.. with an arm lock he can be tough and resist the pain.. With the choke he just passes out, goes to sleep.” -Helio Gracie

Posted: 09 October 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2011-10-19

I’m pretty sure there is actually a way you can make your own. Its somewhere out there on youtube!

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
White Belt Member
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-06-12

Use the five year old :D

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
White Belt Member
Rank
Joined  2012-12-14

Do all three if you can, go to class more, make a dummy and roll with the little one.
OSS

Posted: 15 January 2013 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
White Belt Member
Rank
Joined  2012-03-28

Grappling dummies are expensive, but if you have the money and don’t want to spend your time making one then I would definitely say buy one. 

I made one about 5 years ago and it was rough and better for throws and stuff like that.  I searched and searched and finally found the plans for the Bubba dummy through a patent search.  It was made with wood, hose, and duct tape.  It had joints but the hose made it pretty tight and not very maneuverable for armbars, arm triangles, triangles, pretty much anything.  I didn’t get much use from it and was pretty bummed since I put a lot of time into making it.

Now there a lot better plans online than what I used 5 years ago.  I’d say if you are a crafty person and want to make one for a fraction of the price then go for it.  If I had the patience now and time I’d probably make one to get a little extra practice. 

Here is one site I found.  I was trying to find the plans that I used back in the day, but no luck.  The dummy in this how to looks pretty good and doesn’t look like it will break the bank.  Hope this helps.

http://mattwilsonmd.blogspot.com/2008/11/lamont-you-big-dummy.html

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
White Belt Member
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-02-05

I use a heavy bag for solo drills I.e. moving into S mount or transitions into knee on belly

Signature 

Imhugeinjapan

Posted: 14 May 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
White Belt Member
Rank
Joined  2013-03-13

You can use a heavy bag and a gi, stuff the gi arms with thick blankets till the arms can’t bend.  Or use PVC and rope to make bendable joints.  smile It works for some drills.  You can something similar with the legs to work on guard and leg locks, and passes.  plus good ole’ GnP.

-P